Kansas City Star, March 16, 2010
Bayer plant worker reportedly exposed to insecticide
A Bayer CropScience plant worker in Kansas City who was exposed to insecticide fumes this morning has been released from the hospital, the company reports.
Fire crews and an ambulance were called to the facility at 8400 Hawthorne Road shortly before 9 a.m. and reported that the worker had been exposed to Baythroid XL, which can be fatal if swallowed, according to online company information.
The affected worker was described as a contract associate who was working in an insecticide packaging operation when he apparently inhaled fumes, according to a statement from the company.
The employee complained of difficulty breathing and emergency personnel at the plant removed the victim from his clothing and moved him outside to fresh air before fire crews arrived. No other employees were affected. The company said the worker was expected back at work Wednesday.
The incident will be "thoroughly reviewed" by on-site health and safety experts, according to the company.